Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Piles of Pillows

Just received JC Penney’s latest Home Sale Catalog. The pictures reminded me of a subject I wanted to bring up here: Pillows on the bed in the bedroom. Would you believe seven (7) pillows for each bed?

Recently I spent some time at my son’s house. There were nine (9) pillows on my bed. Two of them hidden under the bedspread – the ones my wife and I slept on. The rest in a neat assembly by color and shape on top. All seven of them had to be deposited somewhere for the night. And redisplayed on the bed during the day. Who – I ask- came up with this frivolity? Interior designers? (The arrangement does not look attractive to me!) Pillow manufacturers? Pillow cover manufacturers? Or maybe even architects and builders having to create (and sell) more space for storing extra pillows?

At a time when we hear a lot about conspicuous (and unnecessary) consumption this trend seems to be even more frivolous. Does it make sense? Common Sense? No.

Think millions of refugees all over the world sleeping without blankets and without pillows!

No comments:

Post a Comment